Finding Perfection in Everyday Duties



As a homeschooling mom of five, life often feels overwhelming. But what if sanctity, or becoming the best version of yourself, isn't as daunting as it seems? Jean-Pierre de Caussade suggests that sanctity boils down to one simple practice: faithfully carrying out the duties appointed by God.


Everyday Sanctification

From the moment you wake up to the minute you lay your head down to rest, each task, responsibility, and interaction is an opportunity for sanctification. Small acts of kindness, patience, and forgiveness, done with fidelity and intention, transform your character and draw you closer to God.


Faithful Living in Action

Sanctity isn't about grand gestures. It's about living out God's will in your everyday life. Embrace each moment and duty with purpose, and you'll find that sanctity is within reach.


Active and Passive Fidelity

Fidelity involves both active practice and passive exercise. Actively fulfill your duties, whether teaching your children or managing the household. Passively embrace life's challenges with love and acceptance, trusting in God's purpose.


Finding Perfection in Everyday Duties

God's rules are simpler than you think. Actively do what you're supposed to do and embrace setbacks with grace. God understands and supports you, pouring out grace for everyone, not just the saints.

When you're feeling overwhelmed, remember you don't have to climb a mountain to find God. He's in the everyday moments, waiting for you to join Him. Open your heart and let His grace wash over you.


Embracing Simple Duties

Sanctity is attainable for everyone, regardless of their position in society. It's about embracing the simple, everyday duties of life with love and faith. Even the humblest tasks can become acts of sanctity when done with a heart open to God's presence.

Live your life, embracing whatever comes your way with faith and trust in God's plan. Whether managing a household or handling daily chores, know that sanctity is within your reach. It's all about living in tune with God's will in the ordinary rhythms of life.






Reflection:

Contemplating the nature of sanctity, as portrayed in the text, offers a refreshing perspective on the pursuit of spiritual growth. It reminds me that sanctity isn't necessarily about grandiose gestures or monumental achievements but rather about the faithful execution of daily duties in alignment with God's will. This notion makes the concept of sanctification seem more approachable and attainable, emphasizing the importance of embracing every moment as an opportunity for spiritual growth.


(I included my own answers to the reflection questions to encourage you to respond based on your own life situation. This blog becomes a conversation between you and your spiritual journey, so grab a pen and your journal now.)


Reflection Questions: 

1. How does the idea of sanctification through everyday tasks challenge your previous understanding of spiritual growth?  

The idea of sanctification through everyday tasks challenges my previous understanding of spiritual growth by emphasizing the significance of even the most mundane activities. Previously, I may have viewed spiritual growth as primarily achieved through formal prayers, devotions, or special religious practices. However, recognizing that sanctification can occur through everyday tasks like homeschooling my children, managing household chores, or budgeting finances expands my understanding of spirituality. It reminds me that every moment, no matter how ordinary, is an opportunity to draw closer to God and grow in holiness.


2. Reflecting on your own life, what are some routine activities or responsibilities that you can approach with a renewed sense of purpose and intentionality, viewing them as opportunities for sanctification?  

Reflecting on my own life, I realize that routine activities or responsibilities such as cooking meals, doing laundry, or spending quality time with my children can be approached with a renewed sense of purpose and intentionality. Rather than viewing these tasks as mere chores or obligations, I can see them as opportunities for sanctification. For example, cooking meals for my family can be an act of love and service, reflecting God's provision and care. Similarly, spending time with my children can be an opportunity to nurture their faith and character, guiding them in ways that align with God's will.


3.  In what ways can you incorporate both active and passive fidelity into your daily life to deepen your connection with God and grow in sanctity?  

Incorporating both active and passive fidelity into my daily life as a Catholic homeschooling mom involves embracing various aspects of my roles and responsibilities.

Actively, I commit to diligently fulfilling my duties as a mother and educator, ensuring my children receive a quality education rooted in faith and morality. This includes creating lesson plans, teaching my children, and nurturing their spiritual growth through prayer, scripture reading, and religious instruction. Additionally, I actively engage in household tasks, budgeting, and managing finances to support my family's needs.

Passively, I strive to accept life's challenges and uncertainties with grace and trust in God's providence. Whether it's facing financial constraints or navigating unexpected setbacks, I choose to approach these situations with faith, knowing that God has a plan for my family's well-being. I lean into difficulties with an open heart, seeking opportunities for spiritual growth and relying on God's guidance to navigate through life's ups and downs.

By balancing both active and passive fidelity, I deepen my connection with God and grow in sanctity amidst the demands of daily life. Each moment becomes an opportunity to live out my faith with purpose and intention, drawing closer to God through my actions and attitudes.


Prayer:

Lord, Thank you for the gift of each day and the opportunities it presents for growth and sanctification. Help me to embrace the simplicity of everyday duties and tasks, seeing them as pathways to deeper communion with You. Grant me the grace to approach each moment with faithfulness and intentionality, knowing that even the smallest acts done in Your name carry great significance. Guide me in balancing active engagement with passive acceptance, trusting in Your providence and wisdom in all circumstances. May I find joy and fulfillment in living out Your will moment by moment, knowing that true sanctity is found in faithfully following You in the ordinary rhythms of life. Amen.




Comments